Ah it’s good to be back! It’s been nearly a year since I’ve done anything with this project, way back in July last year. After the release of the Blades of Khorne 2.0 Battletome I thought it was about time Return to this project and get it done.
Last time, I mentioned that I’ve nearly done the mortal side of the army, with only a unit of 20 Blood Reavers and 5 Blood Warriors left to paint. Currently I’m half way through painting the Blood Warriors which will be part of a unit of ten. Sane as with the Blood Reavers who will be in a unit of forty models.
Some other units needed some basing like the Warriors of Chaos and a unit of Blood Warriors. Well now I’ve got those two units done and a repainted Mighty Lord of Khorne in the colours of the Skullfiend Tribe.
Once, my Blades of Khorne were originally done as the Axes of Skarbrand, a very small collection that were just units from AoS 1.0 box set. The colour scheme at the time was great at first, but over time it was difficult to maintain consistency as my methods were pretty stupid. I should have just drybrushed the black armour in greys rather than edge highlight, would have saved me a lot of time too.
However, after getting the cheaper starter set (no Mighty Lord of Khorne and Bloodsecrator included) for the Stormcast Eternals, I used the Bloodbound of Khorne models for a side project for AoS Skirmish. This would be where the Skullfiend Tribe started, a small fun experiment of kitbashing and painting a small Skirmish group.
But very soon, it was so good that I decided to absorb most of my Aces of Skarbrand into my new army project. To date I’ve only got two units left that still bear the colours of the Axes of Skarbrand, a unit of Blood Warriors and an Aspiring Deathbringer. Almost as if the Axes of Skarbrand are now the Skirmish collection and the Skullfiend Tribe as the army project. Funny.
The Mighty Lord of Khorne is the latest model to be Repainted in the colours of the Skullfiend Tribe, swapping the blood red and black armour for bronze trim and black plating. I think he looks better with these colours, more realistic and worn compared to the cartoony red and black.
I was going to use a Lord of Khorne on a Juggernaut, but considering it’s finecast at £30, I went for repainting my Lord instead.
For years I had a unit of Chaos Warriors with thick paint and were still on their square bases. The previous owner have them to me as they were leaving the hobby behind. Luckily, since you can technically add Chaos Warriors to the Blades of Khorne using the Keywords, I’ve included them into the project as a third battling unit.
A year later, I’ve finally got them painted. The little details like the kitbashing, Khorne aesthetics and painting make this unit seems like it was meant to be part of the Skullfiend Tribe. I’m not sure if I’ll be adding anymore Slaves to Darkness units for this project, but maybe when they get their update I might consider adding some to this project.
Next up, finishing off my five Blood Warriors, start painting my twenty Blood Reavers and possibly adding more Daemons of Khorne to cap off the collection for now. I might try some conversions/ kitbashing to add more unique characters and units.
Until next time,