A new day is dawning for Warhammer 40k with the release of the third instalment of the Gathering Storm trilogy. The Primarch of the Ultramarines has returned from his long frozen stasis, and he’ll be seeing a very changed imperium that’s a shadow of its former glory. But not all is as it should, for this primarch has many enemy’s from various Xenos races and heretic factions. None more so than the arch enemy of the 13th legion, the Word Bearers.
Since 8th edition is rumoured to be coming this year, I thought it was finally time to dust off my wasted Chaos Space marine collection and bring them back to a professional quality. This means I’ll need to paint strip all the thick covered models, as well as creating a fresh new paint scheme in colours of the Word Bearers.
Not only will I’ve redeemed myself in the eyes of Lorgar’s undivided blessing, but also redeem my worst hobby sin since my first box of Chaos Space marines way back in 2009! Hopefully, I might finally get some room in my storage shelves, or as I would put it ‘the Labyrinth of plastic hoarding’
This won’t affect my current work on my AoS army’s, since I don’t need to paint them yet until half term arrives. Boosting my enthusiasm to get deadlines done for table top wargaming.
Here’s the my plan on each phases on what I’ll be doing for my Word Bearers warband.
* Paint strip all my chosen marines to a standard that can be spray painted, to a layer that doesn’t deform the models. [completed]
* Paint all the models with a colour scheme that’s close to the lore depiction of the Word Bearers legion. [WIP]
* Do the same process again to another five Chosen marines to create a full ten man unit or two separate units
* Add Chaplin and Terminator lord to the warband.
* Add two units of MKIV/ or MKIII power armour marines as Troop units, rather than the current spike horned marines.
* Add a Contemptor Dreadnought into the army.
* (Undecided on wether to take the paint layer off) Rhino added to the army
* Add a predator tank to the army
* Add land Raider to the army.
If you guys have any tips or advice for fielding of painting Chaos Space marines, post me a comment below and I’ll reply back as soon as I can. Thank you!