Inspired by Synthwave music and new retro art, I’ve decided to give a classic British icon, the Sontaran solider, a visual makeover.
My reason for using a Sontaran toy as a test subject for this project, is because I’ve always seen the Sontaran armour design (modern Doctor Who series 3) as a design that could work in an 80’s Sci-fi game/art. I’ve always had a a strange connection to the 80’s of nostalgia that I never experienced (being a 90’s generation), there’s this unknown feeling I have whenever I listen and watch old media from the 80’s.
This project is a test experiment to try out the Procreate app with an example theme, and see if it could be something I’d commit to for my FMP in art.
First, I took photographs of my Sontaran toy with several shots, then decided on which image I would use for my development work.
Once I’ve decided which picture I’ll be using for my development work, I’ve then tested some filter options further until I was pleased with the outcome.
I’ve used Procreate to do most of the digital art, layering over my photograph image. This took some time to do, as I was aiming to colour over the upper torso areas that were reflecting light, as well as adding more edge colours on top.
The video below is my process work on using the Procreate app for this image.
My thoughts on the final outcome
I thought that this mini project experiment was a good opportunity to really test out ideas, based on my inspiration with Synthwave music and new retro art. I’ve found it difficult at first to see wether this experiment would work, because it could easily look out of place visually.
The colour scheme for my final outcome, consisted of dark blue, pink and white for the armour. These colours were chosen as they are very much associated with retro art and Some Synthwave album art, I wanted to recreate my image with the pink/blue colours that can visually and mentally draw the mind to a retro prospective.
Overall, I’ve enjoyed working on this project and testing out this sample experiment for myself. I really like the visual look of the final outcome, it’s appearance is very much in line with new retro art. The contrast of the warm glowing eye lenses against the cold pink/blue armour works pretty well, giving the appearance of a figure with more than mercy for it’s intentions.
However, I think the final outcome could be improved with more work on the lower half of the body. Whilst it does look fine as the purple light glow doesn’t reflect on the legs, it dose however look like it could be worked on to improve the final outcomes imagery.
Also, I could try and test out other photography images on different objects, as that could broaden my options for practicing my digital art on curved, angles and abstract forms.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have any questions, post a comment below and I’ll reply back as soon as I can. Thanks!