I’m kicking off 2019 with a new 40k collection to start the new year, a small Primaris force of the Crimson Fists chapter of the 4th company. As this will be my last ever army collection for awhile, I wanted to go out with the best painted miniatures I can possibly do.
Next month will be my 10th anniversary of joining the hobby, so I wanted to mark this anniversary by painting my own kitbash of Pedro Kantor as a Primaris space marine. I based my version on the recent release of Primaris Marneus Calgar in Gravis Armour as my canvas, with minor alterations to fit true to the original model of Pedro Kantor.
with some minor changes including a combi-Stormbolter with intercessor arm, removing Ultramarine sigils and head pose, I’ve kept true to how Pedro Kantor looked in his current sculpt and artwork.
I wanted the pose to look calmer, more calculative as though this model shows the age and wisdom of Pedro Kantors life. He’s been Chapter master of the chapter for well over two hundred or more, having been through many wars including his own homeworld of Rynn.
The Crimson Fists are a second founding chapter who originate from the gene line of Rogal Dorn, Primarch of the Imperial Fists. As a Codex compliant chapter, they follow the strictures of the Codex Astartes that is structured by ten companies. For the Crimson Fists however, they nearly lost their entire chapter during an Ork invasion at Rynn’s world.
It was Pedro Kantor who would maintain the chapters survival after a near defeat by a stray missile destroying the chapters fortress monastery. With only two hundred or so battle brothers left, they defended what was left to their last breath.
Reading the backstory of Pedro Kantor is inspiring by his strength and resolve to turn a tide of defeat to his advantage. Unlike the Scythes of the Emperor, who’s chapter master after the fall of Sotha was less successful at rebuilding his chapter.
Next was painting the model along with his trusted honour guards, I was inspired by the Citadel app guide on painting the Crimson Fists. So I used the highlight guide but as a drybrush guide rather than highlighting. But before I go into that, I have few pictures of my painting progress which took me a total of three days to do.
For the colour scheme, I wanted to achieve the look of smooth dark blue armour. So I took my time when drybrushing the models to ensure that the effect from light to dark is smooth. Same with the cloaks, I wanted to paint a rich colour without it being too bright visually contrasting the dark blue.
- Basecoat Kantor Blue
- Shade using Lahima Matt with Abbadon Black
- Drybrush Maccrag Blue
- Lightly drybrush Alaitoc Blue
- Finally, very lightly drybrush Hoeth Blue on raised areas
- Basecoat Model Colour Flat Brown
- Shade Lahima Matt with Abbadon Black
- Drybrush Khorne Red
- Basecoat Boltgun Metal
- Same shade as the robe step
- Drybrush Boltgun Metal
- Basecoat Khorne Red
- Same shade as robes guide
- Layer Khorne Red on raised areas
- Drybrush Model Colour Flat red
- Basecoat Alaitoc Blue
- Drybrush Deathguard Green
- Shade Druchii Violet for the face
- Highlight raised areas with Model Colour off-white
The final result should look like this.
I’m very pleased with my painting on these models as I can see some improvements from this task. The armour looks a lot more smoother as I’ve used less layering paint, so the model retains its details and smooth surface. Also I like how the dark blue armour contrasts well with the Crimson Fist (no pun intended), it’s a nice clash of colours visually.
For improvements I can see that I’ll need to be more focused on filling gaps with liquid greenstuff, as you can see the cape immersion looks bad with the assembled lines where the arms attach to the body. Another point is that I really need to improve on transfers as this attempt was a poor process. Wether it’s because my transfer sheet is too old now to work, the amount of water I’m using or if I should use alternative transfer process, I think I need to start thinking on how to improve on that. If GW ever release the Imperial Fists shoulder pad upgrade kit at some point soon, I would use that and ditch transfers altogether to save me the stress of ruining the model.
With that, I’d like to end part I of my Primaris Crimson Fists blog post. My next goal is to paint a Primaris Lieutenant to add to my collection, as well as showing off some painted scenery I’ve done recently.
Until next time!
Thank you for reading this post. If you have any questions, post a comment below and I’ll reply back as soon as I can. Thanks!