Took me awhile to get this project going as I had some issues with the project. I was nearly tempted to abandon the project and paint them as Black Templars instead (the hypocrisy of me). However, I pulled through and stuck to my original plan of painting a Crimson Fist army.
But I made one slight change, the Intercessors were added to my ongoing Black Templars army project instead. I’ll elaborate on this very soon in an upcoming post!
Anyways, I’ve painted my leader of the collection, Captain Galleas in Gravis armour, inspired by Mike Lee’s novel, Legacy of Dorn. Out of all the characters in the book, I’ve enjoyed reading about Galleas so much that I wanted to bring him to life as a Primaris Marine, and purge any filthy Ork armies!
You’ll notice that my captain has a different pose than the original pose of the kit, that’d because I prefer the model striding with the power sword lowered, rather than heroic sword raised high. I think the new pose looks fantastic, it gives a sense of weight as he walks in Gravis armour with determination to slay some orks.
I’ve also used a spare Deathwatch shoulder plate and Marneus Calgar head for kit bashing. I wanted to stay true to the look that Mike Lee described Galleas as (even though he wasn’t a Primaris Marine in the book), from the Deathwatch skull, the noble shaped head and his artefact power sword.
Next up is a WIP of Titus Juno, one of Galleas’s close allies during the war on Rynn’s World, who I’ve decided to make him as a Primaris Lieutenant. Honestly who wouldn’t be Galleas’s Demi company commander? A badass marine who can go toe to toe with any Ork double his size, even a mighty Warboss!
I won’t spoil the story of Legacy of Dorn, but I believe that Juno more than earned the rank of Primaris Lieutenant decades later after the Cicatrix Maladictum event. He shows great promise to be a leader who can teach many new generations the techniques he learnt during the invasion of Rynn.
I just need to put him on a base that’s the same as the lieutenant kits, just for the sake of getting the base size right (and fitting a decapitated Ork head on too!). Also notice the Corvus helmet? I thought I’d tie it to the Rouge Trader cover which featured a marine with a beaky helmet.
Finally with have these…
Not my favourite kit in the stater set and Primaris range, they look out of place for my taste anyways. However, painting them was fun and they look pretty cool once finished.
Now let’s see how my current progress is going with the collection so far!
I’d say I’m nearly done with this project now, I’m happy with the project so far with how it’s shaping up. Transfers are an arse to apply, but they are old so they would lose their quality understandably.
Anyways that it for today. I have one more unit, the Hellblasters, to show off and share my tips on painting them. After that it’ll be a break for this project until I can get a unit of 5x Intercessors, and hopefully a Redemptor Dreadnought/ or Agressors to top off this collection.
I hope you have enjoyed this post, and stay tuned for part IV!
Until next time!