Today I present the first part of the two faction backstorys, who will be part of the campagin in the realm of Ghyran. This time, we delve deep into the paranoid, egotistical and cowardly nature of a particular Skaven Clan know as Clan Skelnix. Enjoy!
The origins of Clan Skelnix
To know the origins of Clan Skelnix, one must look not to the beginning, but rather from the end. The Skelnix Clan was led by a cunning and ancient Verminlord Corrupter known as Sektretch, a devoted demigod who follows the path of pestilens. He remembers the final days during World-that-was, for he and thirteen Verminlords of a forgotten Clan were at the chaotic fields of war, as Archaon was within reach of the End Times. Instead of helping his demigod kin when everything fell to darkness, he betrayed them by ambushing them against thirteen Veminlord Corrupters in a deep hollow canyon. What his Clan kin and allied ambushers didn’t know, was that he cunningly led them all into a bigger trap in form of a ritual circle. As Clan against Clan fought against each other, Sektretch enacted one of the thirteen words of the Horned Rat to spread a vile smog of poisonous red gas on the Verminlords, as they choked to death in agony. This was rumoured to be one of the Thirteen Great Plagues, but this is still disputed as a trick by the Verminlord Corrupter to scare enemy Clans who would trespass his land. As the dust settles, Sektretch collected the bodies of his kin, and enacted a ritual to create a gateway to saftey away from the dying world. However, pleased by the cowardly and deceptive skills of the demigod, the Great Horned Rat disrupted the Verminlord’s escape, appeareing as a spectral smoke of darkness in form of a daemon horned rat, and grabbed Sektretch into the smoke of dark oblivion, never to be seen again.
In truth however, Sektretch would still live on, preserved by his vile God, he was sent through the deep darkness for what seemed like an eternity, until he was thrown into one of the Mortal realms, the realm of Ghurr. When he arrived in the realm, he found a mixed Clan of sub Skaven factions who were battling a civil war for dominance. Sektretch having arrived at an optitunity to start his grand plans, appeared to his new servents as a towering demigod, and ordered them to stand down. The Skaven saw this demigod with fear in their eyes, bowing feverishly before the Corrupter incarnation of the Horned Rat. As the Clan now followed the leadership of the Verminlord Corrupter, they burrowed deep into the ground to create a under hive, building a city of accursed cathedrals to devote to the Horned Rat by ringing the bells thirteen times to their God, and making breeding grounds for the Clan to grow in size. The Clan had been keeping to themselves in their hive for many years during the Age of Myth, building their time for the day to strike at the land dwellers. Then, the Age of Chaos came to the mortal realms…..
During this time of great disparity, Clan Skelnix came out of the shadows in a sea of teeming horde of rats. Civilisations that were once on Ghur’s eastern isle lands of Gar-Drake were wiped out with no mercy. Soon, the isle became new under-hives for the Clan to grow and colonise for expansion. Soon the Clan became infamous throughout the main land of Gar-Drake, for their supplies of food and trade ships were bombarded by Skaven fleets, meeting a grisly fate by the hands of Warlord Scarus, the right Claw. Years later, the main land would suffer from their lack of supply’s, making them an easy picking for Clan Skelnix to swarm and devour. However, just as the Age of Sigmar was about to start, Sektretch was informed by the Great Horned Rat to go to Ghyran to join Clan Pestilens to war. The Verminlord had no means of getting to Ghyran unless he had enough sacrifices to create a big enough wormhole to get the Skaven horde there. So he made an unstable small wormhole to send his second in command of the Verminous fleet, Warlord Scarus, the right Claw. Leading a small warband into the realm to establish a base of operations, for which they can build a gateway for Sektretch and the Skaven horde to travel through. If they are successful, the Clan can make their push to join Clan Pestilens to claim the realm of life to the Great Horned Rat.
The forces of Clan Skelnix (During the War of Ghyran)
- Warlord Scarus, the right Claw- A deceitful schemer within the Verminous branch of Clan Skelnix, Scarus had made a name for himself as a fleet master of the Clan. Having been chosen as the right Claw, which means that he is on the top rank to order the verminous branch as he pleases. He uses his close combat skills to deal striking blows to the foe, and to scurry away afterwards from returning blows. This has proved to work as he still lives another day, making him a deadly advisary should one dare challenge him in a duel.
- Arch-Warlock; Letrix– Maddend by his complex mind for building his strange machine gear, Letrix is known to be a wild lunatic when he uses his contraptions in battle. Raised to learn the craft of Skryre engineering, he quickly became adept in crafting his skills as a warlock engineer. After the demise of Arch- Warlock Sarstrix, Letrix took on the mantle of Arch-Warlock donning himself in the Clans power armoured steam suit. Whenever he finds an enemy worth his time, he’ll use his favoured spell, ‘Warpstorm’ to annihilate them with a malice glare of madness.
- Gutter Runners; The Thirteenth shadows– These mysterious assassins are known to show no mercy in any form when contracted to take down key targets, even if it’s their own kin. Formed to take out enemy wizards and generals that are causing too much unwanted trouble, the Gutter Runners hide in the shadows until their target is within range to take down. A vital component in the warband’s success to win their battles, the Thirteenth Shadows provid a means to deal real damage to the enemy within the shadows.
- Stormvermin; The Skrretch Guards– The guards are formed as the back bone of Scarus’s warband, providing much needed close combat skills, and troop power to push the Screaming Bell into battle. They have been know to cause swift damage to the enemy by their skills in using their Halberd, depleting their foes in numbers before they can even return their attacks.
- Giant Rats– The Giant Rats are used purely as a distraction units, to keep the enemy slow in the advance in battle. They are weak, but they still provided a much needed use when Scarus needs time to change formation and tactics.
- Grey Seer; Scretch– A wise advisor to Scarus when he needs his advisors guidance, Scretch is an essential part of Scarus’s warband (even if he manipulates the warlords choices to better his ego). Born as a grey fur Ratling, he was raised to learn the secrets of the Grey seer’s dark magic. He became a great seer during his time with the Masterclan branch, scheming his way to the top as the rest fall below him. He was gifted the horrendous Screaming Bell after he recovered an ancient bell of the Horned Rat in a Duardin cave that’s been guarded by the Fyreslayers. He now rides on a Screaming Bell that tolls constantly, a behemoth that towers even the might of Scarus. Could this be a sign of who’s really in charge?
If you have any questions, post a comment below and I’ll reply back as soon as I can. Thank you!