This part will explain my process from what I’ve learnt from my test design, and starting the process for creating my final design. Whilst the design will be similar, there are a few improvements to the methods and process into creating the final design.
So I started out by looking through my test design work and the photo above, noting down on the methods/ process/ techniques/ materials that I used to create the model. I looked at areas that I needed to improve on, and areas that worked well, which can be carried over to my final design.
I felt that tapeing the model together was okay for a prototype practice, but the overal appearance of the model didn’t do it any justice for professional quality. To improve on this, I decided to glue gun parts, so they bond together more effectively, with no visible tampering.
Another area that I felt that needed improving was the legs, as they were really heavy to balance the robots body. The parts were too long, and they kept coming off their tape bonding. So from this, I’ve decided that having just three 135 degree angle pipes on will make the model more balanced on its own without support bars.
Once I’ve seen what I need to do, I made a sketch design of my final model design, using a realistic concept to create and more simplistic alterations to create on the model [note: I haven’t done a picture on the sketch design yet, but I’ll be updating this post later on when I have finalised it]. Once I had a clear visual picture of the design plan, I started to collect my materials and tools that I need to get ready to create my final design model.
Below are the materials I’m using to do the creation process:
Once I’ve collected all the materials for the project, I then started the process on creating my model. Below is a process guid to my build up on my model.
Part 1: I made a small hole in the middle of the top plant pot, I matched this to my shower washer hole to get an accurate fit. This will be the hole for my light to come through, acting as the robots active eye.
Part 2: as I’ve mentioned above, I made a hole for the washer, matching that to the one on the plant pot. I used a hobby knife, and carefully screwed a small hole shape, making sure I don’t make it too big and out of place.
Part 3: once I’ve done making an accurate hole fit, I threaded a light through the hole, to see if it can fit through easily, but not to easily loose. Luckily it fitted just right, so I added the shower washer ring and one washer ring together to create the robots eye.
Once I felt satisfied with the overal result, I removed the light, washer and shower washer for a later stage when I’ll re-thread it back through.
Part 4: I made alteration to the tikka lid like my previous blog post on the project, making two identical lid shapes. Theses will act as the eye lids for the robots eye, so it can add some realistic visual presentation to the model.
Part 5: for the tikka masala bowl, I cut the bottom of the bowl with a hobby knife to create a hole on the bottom of the bowl. I flipped it over so I can use it as the robots top part of its head, showing its electrical lights on top, as though it’s the robots man made brain.
Part 6: the washer on the 135 degree pipes will be used as the ring of the outer eye, just to give some more visual interest to the robots eye. This will be glue gunned to the eye, since the material for the pipe washer is easy to bond with plastic.
Part 7: once all of the practice parts were done, I glued the plastic shower washer on first, so that I can fit the washer rings and pipe washer on without any tedious obstructions. Once they’ve bonded with the plastic pot, then I glued the first eye lid onto the model. Carefully placing the lid on without being burnt by the glues heat.
I then. Made a small plastic card rectangle and glued that on the right side of the model, with two washer rings glued on it. This will add some detail on the robot, since it looked plain in its current stage.
Part 8: for the pipes, I glued all three of them on a triangle position, as visualised in my sketch design. The process was tedious, as one of the legs kept falling off from their glued position, so I’ll try and see if I can find a way to correct that problem.
At some points I’ll be adding some ball parts to the legs as sphere, this will give the illusion that it moves on wheeled balls, rather than feet.
Part 9: I added the second eye lid on the lower half of the eye, using the same technique as the top eye lid. I then glued the tikka masala bowl on top of the bowl using a glue gun, carefully keeping it on the top pot lid in place.
Once the eye light was tapped, I taped the battery pack on the bottom plant pot, keeping it in place and out of visual view of he model.
Part 11: once all the lights are threaded and are kept in place securely, I carefully glued the two pots together with accuracy to bond without massive gaps in view. I had a tedious task of correcting this step a few times due to the glue drying too quickly, but eventually I was able to bond the pots together.
So far the overal model looks really good, I’m getting confident in the project so far, and I have no doubts on that the tricky parts have been completed. My only note on the process is that the glue gun was very awkward to use, it’s very tedious trying to get any glue to come out, and it drys very quickly if the process is stalked to a few minutes.
In part 5 for building my 3D model robot design, I’ll be using a spray paint process, and doing some acrylic painting on the model, using different techniques and process on the model.